Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wintry Weather Possible for the Foothills and Mountains Tomorrow Night

Last day of Warmth
A cold front will push through the region overnight and tomorrow and cause temperatures to plummet.  Highs tomorrow for many Piedmont areas will not reach the low 50's.  Lows Friday night will be a little warmer as the clouds will act as a blanket to us.  However, our first sub-freezing temperature of the year is likely to occur Saturday Night.

Snow Chances for Tomorrow Night
I figured I would let you know that some forecast models are indicating the chance at some wintry precip. in a few NC counties.  It looks like the snow would mix in sometime tomorrow evening and tomorrow night if it does indeed happen.  The counties that have the best chance at this novelty are Ashe, Watauga, Alleghany, Surry, Wilkes, and Yadkin.  This is the first time this season that wintry weather has threatened areas outside the mountains and remember, it is only the 27th of October.  There are many more weeks of wintry fun ahead.

Winter Forecast
I am currently working on my winter forecast and should have it ready by Friday afternoon.  My analog years for this forecast are 50-51, 55-56, 71-72, 74-75, 75-76, 82-83, 99-00, 00-01, and 08-09.

3 comments:

Gastonwxman said...

Greetings Justin. How have you been recently? I'm doing alright myself, preparing for the upcoming winter season. It appears that there is a potential to have a third consecutive great winter across the Eastern US. We shall see how that plays out. So far most current teleconnections support this idea but we will of course have to keep watch on how strong the blocking gets and its position, amongst other things. I'm planning to release my winter forecast sometime in November so be on the lookout for that if you are interested.

It was pretty incredible across parts of the Apps when the snow fell. Beech Mountain, for example, got some good accumulations up there but nothing like the Northeastern states. In fact, one place called Lenox in Massachusetts received 11 inches in 4 hrs. (2.75" per hour), not to mention the early snow that fell across northern TX! Unreal for October. Hopefully we will see something of interest for November and if not, winter shall provide. Later.

-Gastonwxman (Reggie)

jtomlinwx said...

Nice to hear from you! I look forward to seeing your forecast! Mine should be out sometime this week. Yeah, record-breaking doesn't even begin to capture the extreme magnitude of this storm. I mean places that had 2" records got over 10" of snow! That was just crazy. Very fun to watch unfold. I think we'll see a bit of snow before the start of December(Maybe not accumulating, but at least snow showers).

Gastonwxman said...

Indeed. It was quite a storm according to some folks up there. In fact, from what I've heard, trucks all the way down to GA were needed to help treat some areas up that way. Unreal. Hope we get hammered like that here. It would be one for the books.

Speaking of wintry weather, I managed to complete my winter forecast today. Check it out:

http://gwxmanblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-official-winter-forecast-for-2011.html